As recent news confirmed that E. coli and coliform bacteria were found in the drinking water at Squaw Valley, representatives at the resort have issued a public statement. On Nov. 8, the initial health reports were released. Squaw Valley has been addressing the issue since its discovery and levels of bacteria have seen a steady decrease and the water quality is on schedule to quickly be back to normal. Despite Squaw Valley’s progression toward normality, the restaurants on upper mountain remained closed and skiers are still not allowed to drink the water. Top to bottom skiing is still allowed on the resort as there have been no reported instances of health problems.
In their statement, Squaw Valley exclaimed that the initial findings of E. coli and coliform bacteria were traced back to a rainstorm that impacted several systems In Placer County. The uncommon weather event led to the flooding of one of the water systems that had recently been installed. Squaw Valley insisted in their statement that the contaminated water was never accessible to the public as the issue was addressed prior to a spread. Current methods imposed by the water ban are intended to err on the side of caution. Routine testing resulted in the discovery of the contamination and soon after Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District were contacted. Squaw Valley has also contacted other leaders in water safety and has since been working with them in order bring about a swift resolution to the problem. Regular water usage will not return to its normal schedule until authorities have confirmed that all contamination has been eliminated. As safety continues to be the primary concern at Squaw Valley, bottled water is now being offered free-of-charge at the resort and they have given special thanks to Placer County Environmental Health and the Squaw Valley Public Service District for their assistance in finding a solution.